The 48th Muswellbrook Art Prize Open midnight (AEST) Sunday November 1 2020.
Painting Prize $50,000 (acquisitive)
Works on Paper Prize $10,000 (acquisitive)
Ceramics Prize $10,000 (acquisitive)
People’s Choice Prize $1,000 (non-acquisitive)
Entries open midnight (AEST) Sunday November 1 2020
Entries close midnight (AEST) Sunday 31 January 2021
Finalists and Adjudicator announced Monday 8 February 2021
Opening Night and announcement of Prize Winners 6.00pm Saturday 6 March 2021
Exhibition 7 March to 2 May 2021
Painting Prize $45 per entry
Works On Paper $25 per entry
Ceramics Prize $25 per entry
About the Prize
Since 1958, the Muswellbrook Art Prize has grown and evolved and is today one of the richest prizes for painting in regional Australia. Finalists of the 48th Muswellbrook Art Prize in 2021 vie for a total of $71,000 prize money across four prize categories: Painting ($50,000 acquisitive), Works on Paper ($10,000 acquisitive), Ceramics ($10,000 acquisitive) and People’s Choice ($1,000 non-acquisitive).
Astute adjudication of the Muswellbrook Art Prize over the years has yielded an excellent collection of modern and contemporary Australian paintings, works on paper and ceramics from the Post War period of the 20th Century and into the 21st Century, with the winning acquisitive works forming the nucleus of what is now known as the Muswellbrook Shire Art Collection.
Previous winners of the Muswellbrook Art Prize include such key figures as David Aspden, Sydney Ball, Richard Larter and Fred Williams. The Upper Hunter Region is also well represented with a number of local artists being successful in winning the Prize including Peter Atkins, Dale Frank, Lyn Nash and Hanna Kay.
Along with Muswellbrook Shire Council, who since 1958 has acted as sponsor and administrator of the Muswellbrook Art Prize, Bengalla Mining Company has generously sponsored the Prize for the past 25 years, their commitment ensuring the development of the Muswellbrook Shire Art Collection.
- Register an account with our online awards management program at here
- Start your entry (you can save your entry and return to it for submission at any time prior to the cut-off date)
- Submit your entry
Once you have registered an account you will need to provide to following information on each artwork you are submitting the following information details everything you will need to provide.
The name of the artwork.
The Year the artwork was created. Works must have been created in the 12 months immediately prior to 31 January 2021.
Provide an image of your artwork which will be used for judging and promotion.
Image requirement minimum 1MB maximum 5MB. File type JPEG or PNG.
Include in the medium description those integral to the work.
• For Paintings, please include the support medium i.e. linen, canvas, board etc.
• For Ceramics, please consider the clay type, firing method and surface treatment.
• For Works on Paper include all the integral materials used.
Provide the Height (cm), Width (cm), Depth (cm)
• Size limits do apply: No work in the Painting Prize or Works on Paper Prize is to measure more than 200cm on any side or exceed 20cm in depth, including the frame. Weight shall not exceed 25kg. Work entered in Ceramics Prize may consist of more than one part but the work cannot exceed an overall measurement of 75cm in any direction and an overall weight of 25kg.
Sale Price AUD
The final sale price entered must be inclusive of 30% MRAC sales commission along with any relevant agent fees and commissions and GST if required. N.B. Enter in numerical format only. No currency symbol is required.
Provide a statement written in the first person about the artwork. Focus on the artwork as opposed to your art practice in general. Statements are used in the exhibition and cataloguing of finalist works. Maximum of 100 words.
You will be asked to provide your personal details. These are kept strictly confidential and are for administrative purposes only.
• Street address
You will need to confirm you meet the minimum requirements and am eligible to enter the selected category. These can be found in the terms and conditions.
Terms and Conditions
You will need to agree to the terms and conditions
ABN or Statement by a supplier
An ABN or Statement by a supplier must be provided to be eligible for the prize. You will need to select whether you will be providing an ABN or Statement by a supplier. A statement form can be downloaded and filled in when registering your entries.
• You may edit your entry following submission until close of entry, midnight (AEST) 31 January 2021.
• Time and date for close of entry is final and no extensions will be provided. The system will automatically prevent submissions after this time.
• Be sure to read the terms and conditions.
• Please ensure all details are entered accurately as these will be used in the cataloguing of finalist works.
• Entry fees must be paid online via Visa or Mastercard at time of completing a submission. If your submission has not been paid for at close of entry it will not be included in the selection of finalists.
Once Entry Is Submitted
You will receive a submission confirmation email.
You will be informed by email on the 8th of February whether or not you have been be chosen as a finalist in which your work will be exhibited at the 48th Muswellbrook Art Prize Exhibition
7 March to 2 May 2020.
Your work must be delivered to the Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre, Corner of Bridge & William Streets, Muswellbrook NSW 2333 during opening hours (Tue-Fri 10am-5pm / Weekends 10am-1pm) by no later than 5.00pm Friday, 26 February 2021.
You will need to Login to your Muswellbrook Art Prize account to print your packing slip (link located below the entry title). You will need to print two of these. Affix one packing slip to the back of your artwork and one to your packaging (where applicable).
We will be in contact with you soon after the finalist’s announcement regarding the cataloguing of works and the opening night event on Saturday 6 March 2021.
Artwork: Zoe Tjanavaras, Parched Abundance 2019, reclaimed stoneware, underglaze and silica glaze, high temperature kiln fired, 212 x 210cm; Winner 47th Muswellbrook Art Prize 2020, Ceramics; Muswellbrook Shire Art Collection.
For more information regarding the Muswellbrook Art Prize please see our about page.