Several local schools and organisations were recently awarded funding as part of Muswellbrook Shire Council’s Community War on Waste (WoW) program, funded by the NSW Environment Protection Authority, Waste Less, Recycle More, an initiative aimed at diverting waste from landfill and reducing the amount of waste produced.
St Joseph's School in Denman will use the grant to purchase worm farms and compost bins to help with their efforts to become more sustainable. Year 4 teacher Courtney Smith said the school are excited to receive the grant.
“We will now be able to have another vegetable garden and move our compost over to the new bins and we look forward to working with Mick and council to continue our “war on waste,” she said.
John Marco, president of Muswellbrook Junior Rugby League, said the club would use the grant to establish a container recycling scheme.
“This will help to reduce our waste footprint, improve our clubs recycling habits and raise funds by collecting all recyclable items for the earn and return depot.”
Muswellbrook Shire Council’s Sustainability Officer Mick Brady said the projects will showcase to residents and other community groups the steps they can take to reduce waste.
“We are focusing on food waste because about 40 percent of the waste from an average household’s red lidded bin is food. This is something everyone can do something about. Reducing waste not only keeps valuable materials out of landfill, it also benefits the environment by reducing gas emissions, the need for new materials and can also save money at home and the workplace”.
Recipients of funding through the WoW community grant program from a total funding pool of $24,000 were:
- St Joseph’s School Denman for a food waste education program involving setting up worm farm and composting system.
- Muswellbrook Preschool for a food waste education program and worm farm.
- St Nicholas Early Education for a food waste education program, worm farm and composting system.
- Richard Gill School for garden beds and a composting system.
- Muswellbrook Junior Rugby League to establish a container deposit scheme.