If you are annoyed by the noise from your neighbour’s dog there are several things you can do.


  1. Talk to the dog’s owner.The dog’s owner may not have realised that their dog is bothering you, and in many cases, will be happy to work with you to solve the problem.

  2. Contact a Community Justice Centre. If the problem persists, you may contact a Community Justice Centre (CJC). These are government-funded but independent centres that specialise in settling differences between neighbours without entering into complicated legal processes. They will suggest mediation, where you meet with the dog’s owner and a CJC representative to try and solve the problem. This process will not cost you any money, and has a high success rate.

  3. Contact our rangers team if the problem persists after mediation through the CJC If mediation is unsuccessful and the noise problem persists, contact your local council. They have statutory powers to deal with barkingdogs.

Please note: Council will only investigate if noise reports are made by two separate households or more. Noise diaries may be provided to affected residents to determine the noise frequency and its impact. Residents that complete noise diaries must be prepared to give evidence in Court to support their complaint.

Under the Companion Animals Act 1998, a council officer can issue a nuisance order to the owner declaring the dog a nuisance if it barks or makes another noise that keeps occurring or continues to such a degree that it unreasonably disturbs neighbours. For example, if you complain about a noisy dog, the council officer can investigate to substantiate your complaint.

This may include:

  • asking you to keep a barking dog diary of when the noise occurs,
  • canvasing the neighbourhood with barking dog diaries ,
  • visiting the property where the dog is kept and providing verbal and written advice

Visit https://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/your-environment/noise/neighbourhood-noise/dealing-with-barking-dogs

  1. Seek a noise abatement order
    If the matter only affects your household, you can apply for a noise abatement order. To learn more on the process and apply for an order, contact your local courtor speak to a legal adviser.  For free legal information, you can call LawAccess on 1300 888 529.


Back to top