
On 5 August 1833, Surveyor Robert Dixon was instructed to prepare a field plan for a village at the junction of Muscle Creek and the Hunter River. The town was gazetted on 23 October 1833, with the first blocks of land offered for sale on 26 August 1834.
By 1840, the town had 215 residents living in 41 homes, alongside shops and several inns. In 1842, the area south of Muscle Creek was developed as ‘Forbestown’ by Francis and David Forbes, sons of Sir Francis Forbes. Due to confusion with the town of Forbes, it became known as South Muswellbrook from 1848.
The Municipality of Muswellbrook was proclaimed on 13 April 1870, by which time the population had grown to 1,445.

EATONS HOTEL
An inn has stood on this site since 1839, when Ann Ward was licensee of then White Hart Inn.
In 1857, William Eaton purchased the property and renamed it Eaton’s White Hart Hotel, with parts of the present building dating back to the 1850s. Eaton expanded the building in 1866, and it was later modified again in 1929 by H.R. Fladers.

LOXTON HOUSE
This impressivebuilding, dating back to 1847, originally served as both a store front and residence for Muswellbrook entrepreneur Thomas Kerr.
It continued as such under several owners before being converted into residential flats after World War II. In recent times it has been offices, retail shops and a restaurant. It is currently undergoing restoration works.

WEIDMANN COTTAGE
This two-storey, four-room sandstone cottage dates back to the 1840s. It was a middle-class merchant’s townhouse with a shop, although it lacks the typical refinement of the larger country homes of that time.
Named after Albert Weidmann, who operated a butcher’s shop, the property was owned by the Weidmann family from 1891 to 1977. It was restored in 1988 by Muswellbrook Shire Council, with support from grant funding and the local community.

UNITING CHURCH
Formerly the Methodist Church, this red brick building with a sandstone base was constructed in 1913 on the site of its predecessor.
The handsome interior remains intact, featuring a diagonally boarded timber ceiling. The stonework was carried out by local stonemason William Armitage.

ST ALBAN’S CHURCH OF ENGLAND
An inn has stood on this site since 1839, when Ann Ward was licensee of
the White Hart Inn.
In 1857, William Eaton purchased the property and renamed it Eaton’s White Hart Hotel, with parts of the present building dating back to the 1850s. Eaton expanded the building in 1866, and it was later modified again in 1929 by H.R. Fladers.

RECTORY – ST ALBAN’S CHURCH OF ENGLAND
Built in 1871 as a private home for Mrs Sarah White, mother of Reverend William Edward White, this residence was acquired by the church in 1937 for £1,100, with an additional £150 for the land.
Now serving as both the Rectory and the church’s administrative office.

ST ALBAN’S PARISH HALL
Originally serving as the Church School and School Master’s residence, this building was constructed between 1873 and 1874 using English bonded brick reclaimed from the original 1843 church.
The school’s front section features a triple arch porch, which is a good example of High Victorian brickwork and the only known structure of its kind in the Hunter Valley. Adjacent, the School Master’s residence includes a stoneflagged verandah along its western edge.

CAMPBELLS CORNER
This served as the headquarters for Malcolm Campbell, who built a vast retail empire with stores throughout the Upper Hunter.
The original section of the building was constructed in 1870, with numerous expansions in 1879, 1891, and the distinctive corner block and tower added in 1910–1911. The facade was modernised in 1954 with a post-free awning, and a comprehensive refurbishment in the early 2020s restored it to its former glory.

NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK
Henry Nowland, a pioneering coach operator, built a stone residence on this site sometime after 1834, later licensed as the Royal Hotel.
In 1866, his wife Harriet expanded the building with a two-storey section featuring a slate roof. The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney bought the property in 1875 and after a merger
in 1982, it became the National Australia Bank.

LUSCOMBE’S CHAMBERS
This three-storey building, constructed in 1913 by Mr J.C. Luscombe, was the first of its kind on Bridge Street.
The ground floor housed auctioneers for many years before becoming a billiard hall, while the first floor served as office space and the top floor was home to a succession of photographers
until the 1950s, when it was converted into residential accommodation.

THE ROYAL HOTEL
This was the first block of land sold in Muswellbrook, granted to George Forbes in 1834. A licensed premises has operated here continuously since 1835, under various names.
The current building was erected in 1891 and marked the first project for John Lowe (c1890), a bricklayer who came from Sydney to construct the hotel for the Estate of the late R.J. Luscombe.

OLD PLOUGH INN
Built in the 1850s, this building originally operated as the Plough Inn. It later became known as the Coach and Horses, and then the Royal Hotel, operating under a succession of licensees.
After losing its licence in 1885, the building was repurposed as a boarding house, bake-house, and eventually a real estate agency.

FORMER SADDLERY
Built in the 1880s, this Victorian two-storey brick residence and shop originally served as a saddlery and livery stables.
Over time, it transitioned into a boarding house, barber, hairdresser, and later a real estate agency. The original shield, featuring a horse motif, still hangs proudly out the front

THE VALLEY MOTEL/HOTEL
Parts of this building date back to the 1840s.
This site was home to the Muswellbrook Family Hotel, licensed to Sylvester Thornton in 1843.
It was the first inn in what would become South Muswellbrook. While it no longer operates as a hotel, the motel section is still operational.

THE PRINCE OF WALES HOTEL
This was the site of Mr. P. Hegarty’s store in 1843.
In 1852, James Cross held the licence for the Cross Keys Hotel, which was renamed the Prince of Wales Hotel in 1865. It has operated continuously under that name since.

THE CENOTAPH
This Doric monument, crafted from Bowral trachyte and designed by Mr J.O. Hicks, was unveiled on 25 April 1923 by Lieutenant Colonel Cameron DSO of Singleton and Mrs D. Fleming Snr.
Funded by a public appeal of approximately £1,500, it originally honoured World War I veterans, with names from later conflicts added since.

RECONCILIATION MURAL
This mural, designed by Aboriginal artist George Anderson in consultation with Elders and the community, depicts Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people of the Upper Hunter.
Beginning on the left, the panels depict pre-contact: a family group at home in the landscape, the HMS Endeavour charting the coastline as the Rainbow Serpent is stirred to anger, sailors row to shore observed by the locals, a massacre takes place, the lands are cleared for farming, the Aboriginal population is excluded to the fringes of the towns, power and mining come to the Hunter and the land is further degraded, hope arises in the form of the Reconciliation movement by the merging of black and white in the final panels.

RAILWAY STATION
Built in 1869 by Mr. Hyndes for the Public Works Department using local bricks, Muswellbrook Railway Station was officially opened by the Earl of Belmore, Governor of New South Wales.
The arrival of the railway marked an important development in the town’s history, confirming its regional importance and boosting the local economy. The two-storey section was opened in October 1922, and the signal box building dates from the 1930s.

THE RAILWAY HOTEL
The present building was constructed in 1898 by Martin Rasmussen after the original building was destroyed by fire.
Designed to accommodate the commercial travellers, it featured ample stabling and a large sample room for displaying their goods. Historical records also note the site’s role as a cordial factory and brewery.

ORIGINAL FIRE STATION
Built in 1917 for the NSW Fire Brigades, this brick station originally featured a large engine bay, an operations room, and a single bed. A tall steel tower stood as a distinctive feature to dry the hoses after they were used to extinguish a fire.

POLICE STATION
The original single-storey brick building, with stone sills and foundations, was constructed around 1868. Its interior once featured large fireplaces and mantelpieces (the chimneys that were
later removed but have since been restored to their original positions).
Adjacent was a weatherboard Sergeants’ quarters, built in 1926 and later demolished prior to the construction of the new police complex, which opened in 2007.

MUSWELLBROOK REGIONAL GALLERY
Built in 1871 as the School of Arts and extended in 1913, the building functioned as a Town Hall when the Municipal Council took over operations around 1950.
An art gallery was added in the 1970s under a regional employment development scheme, and after reconstruction in 2000, it reopened as the Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre, and now houses the Max Watters Collection and the Muswellbrook Art Prize winners.

POST OFFICE
The current Post Office was completed in 1885 and stands in front of the original 1861 brick Telegraph Office.
At the time, postal services operated from separate premises further up Bridge Street. The two services amalgamated in 1870.

ST JAMES CATHOLIC CHURCH
St James Church, built in 1911 from local sandstone, replaced the original 1861 church. Designed by architect James Hicks, constructed by builder David Jordan and stonemason William Armitage, the church is surrounded by historic buildings including the 1880s school, the 1933 convent, and the nearby Presbytery and former Convent in Sowerby Street

MASONIC LODGE
This two-storey building features a hall on the ground floor and a temple space above, originally constructed in 1888 for the Prince of Wales Masonic Lodge. Built of brick and stucco, it showcases bold classical detailing. The upper floor was later extended at the front corners, and a street-front shop was added, which now conceals the building’s original entrance.

ST JOHN’S CHURCH
A testament to the strength of the Presbyterian community, the precinct centres on two historic churches: the original St John’s, built in 1843 and now home to the John Dunmore Lang Christian School, and the current St John’s Church, constructed between 1913 and 1915. Headstones of early Presbyterian pioneers, relocated from the original burial ground east of the original church, now stand along the western side of the newer building.